Keep your website details safe
If you’ve got a website for your business it’s essential that you have ownership of it and that means keeping your domain and hosting details nice and safe.
I’ve seen this scenario on several occasions. A business owner loses contact with the designer who made their website and they end up with no idea where their site is hosted and no way of renewing their domain or their hosting.
By following a few simple steps you can avoid any potential problems.
If someone is purchasing and registering a domain on your behalf make sure:
- they tell you which company the domain is registered with
- they register the domain with your personal details, not theirs
- they give you connection details to the domain control panel
- you’re set up to receive notification emails when your domain is due for renewal
If someone is purchasing hosting on your behalf make sure:
- they give you the name and contact details of the company hosting your site
- they give you connection details to the hosting control panel
- you’re set up to receive notification emails when your hosting is due for renewal
Once you’ve got all the details it’s a good idea to create an electronic and paper copy and make sure you store them somewhere safe.